Monday, February 25, 2008

uuurgghhh....

This is kind of after the fact, but I'm going to share anyway. It's my blog and I can do what I want. On wednesday night, I was in a wreck and I totaled my car. The damage to my car actually more than doubles my car's worth. What's worse, the insurance agency refused to ensure the ol' bucket of rust any more than liability insurance. So, since I only have liability I won't be filing a claim with my insurance agency, so my family and I have made the unanimous decision to shoot it like ol' yeller, sell it to a scrap yard, and get something more reliable. I have ZERO money to spare with the exception of my tax refund coming at some point, so we'll see what happens. It has to be soon though because I need something to get back and forth to work in.

I was thinking about it though. These are all the reasons why this situation might actually be in my favor:
1) My car was a 98 model, had over 200k miles put on the engine, and had cracks in the oil gasket that couldn't be fixed because those parts aren't manufactured anymore. It had one foot in the grave when we bought it, and the engine was going to die at any minute. The fact that my wreck happened when it did, how it did, was a blessing in disguise because if my car died in 280 traffic, I could have died from the wreck that would have happened. That thought scares me.
2) Jason and I have talked in the past and we have realized that my car would need to be replaced very soon. We also realized that if anyone was going to get a new (to us) car, it would have to be in these first couple of years pre-kids. The car we get now will probably be what I'm driving when we start our family.
3) This is probably the only way I would be getting a new (to me) car. I'm never the type to buy a new car just because, and I only see my car as a means of transportation.
4) I essentially pay a car payment in my gas bill every month driving 45 miles a day, plus the cost of having to have my car filled up with oil every two weeks thanks to the leaking gaskets. I'm not going to miss the money, I'm already spending it.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com